285 Jay Street
Academic Building 812 (A-812)
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Welcome to the Department of Vision Care Technology
As a Vision Care Technology student at City Tech, you will benefit from:
- A friendly and professional atmosphere
- Individual attention to your academic and professional growth
- State-of-the-Art, well-equipped ophthalmic laboratories and clinical facilities that duplicate on-the-job professional settings
- Hands-on experience for practical professional skills
The Department of Vision Care Technology has a nationally renowned faculty with individual expertise in ophthalmic dispensing and materials, theoretical optics, sports vision, refractometry, contact lens fitting, and business. The faculty works closely with the professional community to provide state-of-the-art technical skills in vision care technology.
The mission of the Vision Care Technology Department is to provide the student with the academic, technical and clinical skills in the area of licensed opticianry that will allow the student to become a productive and contributing member of society and the ophthalmic profession.
Vision Care Technology Program Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the Vision Care Technology program can:
- Possess the academic, technical and clinical skills to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of a licensed eyecare professional/ophthalmic dispenser (optician)
- Function well in a variety of eyecare work environments
- Communicate clearly in written and oral presentation
- Understand the ethical responsibilities and implications of one’s work and personal actions
- Apply problem–solving techniques to the workplace
- Gain a broad educational background to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public
New York City College of Technology, The City University of New York, is an accredited member of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
Middle States accreditation facilitates the transfer of college credits to and from other colleges and universities.
The Department of Vision Care Technology of New York City College of Technology is the only Middle States Association-accredited
program within CUNY. The Department is also accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation.
Debra White, Director of Accreditation
PO Box 592
Canton, NY 13617