STUDENT LIFE COORDINATOR
Starting a Club
Any student at City Tech is welcome to start a club. The process to start a club is simple. First, you must have at least 15 people interested in being in the club and identify a club advisor (City Tech faculty or staff member). Once you have identified your members and advisors, there is paperwork that must be done; most of this is online. Finally, you must submit a club constitution. The constitution may state basic information about the club including: purpose and governing structure, the officers’ functions, and club bylaws. A sample constitution is available online. Once this is completed and all of the paperwork is completed the club will be certified as a City Tech Student Club. As a recognized student organization at City Tech, you will be allowed to meet on campus and use City Tech resources.
Eligibility to Join Clubs and Student Organizations
- Students must be enrolled in New York City College of Technology as either a full or part-time student for the current academic year.
- You must be in good academic standing at the college to be eligible to join a club/student organization.
- Non-degree students aren’t eligible to join clubs or student organizations.
How to Start a Club/Organization
The Club Certification process for new organizations is completed entirely using hard copy forms.
The steps in the process are as follows:
- Create a name for your club and think about what category it will fit into. We have four categories, Academic, Cultural, Social and Other. Once that is complete, type your club constitution. Templates for club constitutions can be retrieved in the Office of Student Life, G-516. Type the mission/purpose of the organization and a separate typed description of the organization.
- Print out a copy of the membership roster and have members of your organization complete the form with member's first and last names, email address, telephone number and EMPL ID. You are to type the membership roster before handing it in to the Club Coordinator. Remember, a minimum of 15 members are required to form or re-certify a club. In addition, you need identify students filling the following club officer positions: President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. Each officer must submit their first and last names, email address, EMPL ID and telephone number. Club officers may not be included as a part of the required 15 members. Upon completion of your membership roster you should have a minimum of 20 people; 15 non-officer members, 4 officers and a faculty advisor.
- Select a faculty or staff person to be the organization’s advisor. The advisor must be a full-time faculty member or administrative employee of the college.
- Complete (2) copies of the signature card, which requires the signature and EMPL ID number of the Club’s President, Vice-President, and Treasurer. Club Advisors are required to sign the card as well. Signature cards are available in the Office of Student Life and Development.
- Submit your completed membership roster and (2) signature cards to the office of Student Life and Development. A deadline date is established each academic year. Your organization must comply with the deadline to receive full consideration of services and funding.
- When finished with the above documents, bring them to Jamal Johnson, Club Coordinator, in the Office of Student Life and Development.
- You will be notified as to your status after your application has been reviewed by the Office of Student Life and Development and the Student Government Association.
- Your organization's completed Organization Certification Forms are on file in the Office of Student Life and Development, G516
- The Student Organization Handbook is available in Student Life and Development, G-516.