Welcome to the Health Sciences Department
The Health Sciences department currently offers two degrees, with a third under development and expected in the Spring of 2022.
- The Associate in Science (AS) in Health Sciences degree gives students an understanding of the career possibilities in healthcare and how their particular interests fit into the range of occupations within the healthcare industry. This degree is open to the general student body and students may self-declare this degree as their major.
- A new Bachelor of Science (BS) degree was recently approved in Healthcare Management and Policy and is anticipated to start in the Spring of 2022. This degree is open to all students in good academic standing and allows for continuation of studies beyond the AS Health Sciences degree. This BS degree prepares students for entry level administrative careers that support the operations of healthcare facilities, government agencies, and related industries.
- The BS in Health Services Administration is a career development degree for individuals who already have a significant background experience in healthcare. This degree is only open to senior-level students who hold at least an Associate Degree AND who are either licensed healthcare providers or individuals with the equivalent of two years, full-time relevant work experience in a health care facility. This degree seeks to build upon the students existing credentials and work experience so that they may apply their skills to new occupational settings. Interested students may not self-declare this major; instead, they need to apply to the department and undergo a review of their credentials to determine if they meet the degree's entrance requirements.
Advisement for the Health Sciences AS degree, please send an email to Healthsciences@citytech.cuny.edu, please include your EMPLID and any questions your may have. Replies are given in order of receipt.
Advisement for the Health Services BS degree, please contact Dr. Bohm at Jbohm@citytech.cuny.edu
The New York City College of Technology Department of Health Sciences represents the interest of a diverse student body: its programs give students the the program gives to students the necessary knowledge, skills and competencies needed for successful career mobility and diversification. The Faculty, Staff, and Administration are committed to providing excellence in education through student focused active learning that promotes ongoing self development, ethical conduct, and leadership. Its Degrees offer a dynamic learning environment that prepares students for the rigors of employment, encourages their professional growth and inspires a commitment to graduate education and lifelong learning.
Health Sciences is an interdisciplinary area of study that prepares students for employment within administrative occupations supporting healthcare and its delivery.
Presently, the department offers two degrees:
For entering students, the department provides an interdisciplinary preparatory Associate’s degree. Students interested in either pursuing the possibility of a clinical career, entering into healthcare employment or desire to advance their education for baccalaureate level career-based studies, utilize this program to flexibly accommodate their interests.
The degree allows students to:
- Undertake their required preclinical studies so that they may eventually apply for admission and if accepted, transfer into competitive clinical healthcare programs such as nursing, Radiologic Technology and dental hygiene,
- Learn the basic skills needed for employment in jobs that support the day-to-day activities of healthcare facilities,
- Achieve a relevant degree that knowledgably prepares them for upper-level, bachelor’s studies for careers in healthcare administration, management or similar occupations.
Upon graduation from the AS degree, students are well suited to assume entry-level positions in the operations of healthcare facilities and physician offices. According to the US Department of Labor, employment of medical and health services is projected to grow 18 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations. (1).
For upper level students, the department offers a BS in Health Services Administration specifically designed to service the educational needs of individuals who already have significant experience in health care &ndahsh; either as a licensed health care provider with, as a minimum, an associate degree in a health care clinical discipline or someone with an associate’s degree who also has substantial employment experience in the health care environment.
Graduates will be prepared to enter the challenging and fast-growing world of health service management as entry-level administrators in a variety of health care settings. Significant employment opportunities exist for graduates as supervisors, managers and administrators in hospitals, health care agencies, nursing homes, insurance companies, medical/dental clinics and managed care organizations. Alternatively, the program provides students with an excellent foundation should they wish to continue their graduate education in such distinctive fields as health administration, public health and the clinical professions.