- G.I. Bill and Military Tuition Assistance
- Veteran Resources
Library Building (L-236)
G.I. Bill and Military Tuition Assistance
Process for receiving Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve G.I. Bill
Your enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of the month by using our Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at www.gibill.va.gov/wave or by calling our toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.
How to apply for Military Tuition Assistance
Each military service branch and component has their own criteria for Tuition Assistance eligibility, military service obligation, application process and restrictions. It is recommended that you speak with your chain of command and your branch of service's educational representative for further guidance to request your TA benefits.
For more information, review your military service website for details on your eligibility and the process for requesting tuition assistance.
Steps to apply for Military Tuition Assistance (TA)
- Speak with your service branch education services officer (ESO), career counselor, or benefits incentive specialists to ensure you are eligible for Tuition Assistance.
- Gain approval from your commander to attend classes at New York City College of Technology (City Tech) prior to enrollment. (Note: Commanders approve TA!)
- See your base Education Services Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling for classes at New York City College of Technology (City Tech)
- Follow the military service branch and component specific instructions how to request Tuition Assistance for your course(s). Take note of the TA application instructions/deadlines specific to your branch and New York City College of Technology’s academic calendar to ensure your request in processed in a timely manner.
- Submit your approved TA request to the City Tech Bursar’s Office for processing (email to email@example.com, PDF format).
- The Bursar’s Office will process your approved TA request, and posts the TA credit to your student account. Please ensure you review your CUNYFIrst student account (Bursars and Financial Aid) to ensure your TA has posted online.
General Information about Military Tuition Assistance (TA)
- TA is exclusive to currently serving members of the Armed Forces. If your ETS date falls during the academic semester you will not get TA for that semester.
- TA is requested on a course-by-course basis, and each course must be part of an approved degree program.
- TA is limited on the total number hours for undergraduate degrees (lifetime limit) depending on your branch/component. It also cannot be used for a lateral degree (you cannot use TA to earn a 2nd bachelor’s degree)
- TA can be reimbursed for up to 100% of the course cost, not to exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $4500 per fiscal year applies for Air Force, Army, Navy, and Marines. Coast Guard, not to exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $2250 per fiscal year. (Fiscal year resets on October 1)
- TA may NOT cover all course fees.
- TA can be used in conjunction with the GI Bill®, but with some restrictions; contact an advisor or incentive specialists for guidance.
- TA requests should be completed prior to the start of the semester. Each branch/component has its own deadline.
- TA is a tuition reimbursement program; you will not receive an up-front payment. Payments are made directly to the university and may come late in the semester.
- Please note TA is not a guaranteed benefit, and funding is limited. TA is paid on a first come first serve basis. Students must apply within their branch of service prior to the start of the school term.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
How to Apply for VA Education Benefits
Documents and Information Needed
- Social Security Number
- Bank account direct deposit information
- Education and military history
Step 1: NAVIGATE to www.vets.gov
Step 2: CREATE username and password (optional, but suggested)
Step 3: SELECT apply for education benefits
Step 4: READ the information provided. CLICK “Find your Education Benefits Form” ANSWER questions as prompted.
Step 5: SELECT Apply Now
Step 6: SELECT Start the Education Application
Step 7: ENTER Required fields
When prompted enter: New York City College of Technology - CUNY; 300 Jay Street; Brooklyn, NY 11201
When prompted, enter the first day of the semester in which you will begin taking classes.
Step 8: SUBMIT Application
Requesting Joint Services Transcript
Step 1: Create an account for your military transcript via the following websites:
- Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard
- Air Force
Step 2: Submit official transcript request to New York City College of Technology for credit evaluation
Step 3: Print unofficial copy for your records
Step 4: Use American Council of Education (ACE) Military Guide to review a description of your coursework: www.acenet.edu/news-room/pages/military-guide-online.aspx.
|Using JST Credits for college can count toward:||Using JST credits for employment can:|
|Elective Credit||Showcase military occupation|
|Major or Minor Electives||Illustrate responsibilities and duties|
|General Education Electives||Illustrate leadership and training|